Monday 21 June 2010

He (God) loves me!

Physical and emotional abuse takes its toll on a relationship. For many years, I gave up on trying to overcome the scars of an aloof, censorious father who preferred corporal punishment to a reassuring embrace. I had to come to terms with the fact that I was an unwitting casualty of my parents’ divorce. It didn’t have to be this way, but I eventually realised that my Dad was happier starting over again with a new family that didn’t include me.

Thanks be to God that life changed when I encountered Jesus. In my conversion, God bestowed an almost telepathic assurance that He understood and that He could heal and fulfil my life: changing everything for the better. For all my own mistakes, He didn’t fail. Numerous interventions later, I remember a song by a gospel singer called Evie that perfectly captures the overflowing assurances that He continues to bestow on an otherwise unlovable Dave through the power of my personal friend and living Lord Jesus:

‘He loves me and that’s a brand new story,

He loves me and that’s a brand new song,

He loves me! He loves me!

And I just can’t keep from singing,

And you ask me, Do I need Him?

Well does a river need the water to get along?’

‘Nuff said!

No comments:

Post a Comment